Cant get ABS to stick to the printbed

hello

i cant seem to get printing with ABS to work :frowning:

PLA goes fine, but when i try to go with ABS it doesnt stick properly to the printbed, and comes loose after a couple of layers :frowning:

tried from 210 to 225 degrees
fan speed set to 50%
bed calibrated to 0.15mm (with feeler gauges)
fitted new nozzle, just to make sure it wasnt that
tried with both brim, raft and no adhesion

is there realy no way to print ABS without a heated bed ?

is there any modifications you guys have made to your printers to get ABS working ?

I’ve printed ABS on the Buildtak but big pieces will finally warp.
I have now a heated bed but before that I used those settings :

220° 72% flow
8 mm brim
0.1-0.15 nozzle-bed distance.
40% infill max (the more infill the more it will warp).
fan between 30 and 50% with the small fan horizontal (not tilted)
Avoid cold places and draft.

When it sticks, it’s almost impossible to remove and I’ve ruined my first sheet of Buildtak trying to.

well in pure frustration i ordered a reprap heat bed mk3 last night :slight_smile:

but once i get that installed what would my best option be ?

put my glass plate ontop of the mk3 ?
ad a sheet of build tak onto the mk3 ?
print strait on the alu surface of the mk3 ?

i seem to remember reading somewhere that you can heat up the heatbed to make it easyer to remove the printed object when it is finished.

I’m printing on the alu plate but I’m coating it with PVC glue otherwise it still doesn’t stick enough.

PVC glue ? as in the stuff you use to weld PVC pipes together for industrial water systems ?

do you let it dry first ? and how do you get a nice even surface ?

[quote=“frich”]
PVC glue ? as in the stuff you use to weld PVC pipes together for industrial water systems ?[/quote]Exactly.

[quote=“frich”]
do you let it dry first [/quote]Yes.

[quote=“frich”]and how do you get a nice even surface ?[/quote]I polish it with a rag soaked with acetone.

Is this PVA liquid glue(running like water) or more like a paste?

Can you please post a link to that glue?

this is the stuff i use for my pond to do the pipework

ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Litre-Tangi … 4aeb84d0f1

it’s a clear liquid (abit cloudy) with a consistency similay to a decent gravy that doesnt run off your potatoes :slight_smile:

Thanks!

So this might be suitable for gluing small cracks in PLA also?

hmmm not sure how well it would glue PLA.

but i guess there is only 1 way to find out :slight_smile:

i will go glued to pieces of PLA together, and leave it overnight :slight_smile:

[quote=“Zefix”]Is this PVA liquid glue([/quote]It’s not PVA (which is wood white glue you can use diluted to have your PLA sticking).[quote=“frich”]this is the stuff i use for my pond to do the pipework

ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Litre-Tangi … 4aeb84d0f1[/quote]This one exactly.

[quote=“Zefix”]So this might be suitable for gluing small cracks in PLA also?[/quote]It doesn’t stick very well to PLA. What works best is Super glue (cyanoacrylate). I’m also using UHU Hart but it sticks less. UHU Plus Endfest (epoxy) is also known to stick on PLA.

hmmm would it work to dissolve some in sodium hydroxide to make a glue ?

abit the same as dissolving acrylic in acetone to make a great glue ?

From what I read and tested here any glue which is for PVC can be also used for PLA.

The problem however is that most of these glues are not liquid enough(like super glue) to run in small cracks.
They are more like a gel. You have to press it in the cracks(smaller than 1mm) it doesn’t flow there by itself.

Thats the only real drawback I have regarding PLA.

Superglue(Cyanoacrylate) is not usable for PLA parts that are under tension they will break over time.

[quote=“frich”]hmmm would it work to dissolve some in sodium hydroxide to make a glue ?[/quote]I’ve tried that. It softens the PLA turning it into tiny filaments but it’s not really dissolving like acetone does for ABS.[quote=“Zefix”]Superglue(Cyanoacrylate) is not usable for PLA parts that are under tension they will break over time.[/quote]PLA itself will break over time. I have very tiny parts glue with cyanoacrylate that are holding some weight since month and are still holding.

I think the correct term is cold welding. The glue needs to dissolve the top layers of the PLA so that the two parts truly become one single part.

I have some really toxic old stuff(Furan) for cold welding flat roof plastic foils, that is running like water. But I don’t want to use it cause of the toxic fumes.

the PVC glue looks promesing

will want will the morning for a stress test

Ok guys before anyone trying something other.

I want to show you this:

youtube.com/watch?v=p3V90i8vo_k -> @ 2:00

Did everyone try this? I think its totally worth the try, cause I think this guy is really god at that was he do.

[quote=“crzdg”]Ok guys before anyone trying something other.

I want to show you this:

youtube.com/watch?v=p3V90i8vo_k -> @ 2:00

Did everyone try this? I think its totally worth the try, cause I think this guy is really god at that was he do.[/quote]

I have read about ABS slurry on other sites. So I think i works fine.

When he scuffens his buildplate for PLA, it must be a acrylic plate.