"Boot loader reset" loops when relay on

I have three VM201 with identical setup. I only use one relay to run a doorbell:
friedland.eu/de/home/produkt … sicht.html

It is run on timer and all setups worked well aprrox. the first three months. Thereafter when the relay is operated by timer the VM201 goes into bootloader reset, opens/closes the relay, goes to bootloader reset again and loops so on for approx one minut. The settings in my timers is pulse for 8 seconds only.

The main reason must be it goes to bootloader reset. When the relay is open there is no sign of bootloader reset.

I have upgraded the Firmware to 13.42 but made no difference.

I would appreciate any help.

BR
Albin

Does it behave this way when there is nothing connected to the relays?
Most likely it resets due to interference induced through the relays.

[quote=“VEL417”]Does it behave this way when there is nothing connected to the relays?
Most likely it resets due to interference induced through the relays.[/quote]

I tested the other relays which have nothing connected, and then it works normally.
I will test this relay with nothing connected as well.

Power supply to relay channel is 12 VDC and I think the consumption is somewhere at 200 mA. What is your suggestion to reduce interference- add coil?

Thanks for your support!
/Albin

12DC is a little on the low side, since the relay only receive 10.6V in this case.
This might cause slower switching (= more interference) and more prone to interruptions.
Board has been designed for use on 12VAC.

The VDR’s won’t do much since they are designed for 230VAC operation.
You might want to add a say 100 ohm resistor in series with a 100nF cap in parallel with the relay contact.

I rechecked today.
Removed voltage from relay channel and from VM201.

Started only the VM201 and I see that it directly goes into “Bootloader Reset” loop. So it seems it has nothing to do with what I connect on the relay side. All my 3 units have the same behaviour.

Firmware is 13.42 but would it make sense to download the FW again to the unit? Or is it broken?

Are you sure the firmware upgrade was completed successfully? After a firmware upgrade it is a good idea to also do a factory reset. You will lose your settings, but it may prevent problems.

Yes it ran OK after the FW upgrade. I now did a factory reset and I have so far not seen the “Bootloader reset”. I will observe if the next days and see.

Yes it ran OK after the FW upgrade. I now did a factory reset and I have so far not seen the “Bootloader reset”. I will observe if the next days and see.[/quote]

Now I see the units are in “Bootloader Reset”-loop again.
I tride now doing factory reset and it looks ok until I connect the Ethernet cable. The IP changes from 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.158 (stativ IP adressed by DHCP) and after the the Bootloader Reset starts.

Any other suggestions? I don’t think updating the FW would be a good idea since it looks like i lose connection all the time during the bootloader reset?

/Albin

That is not normal behavior… if you want, we can take a look at the VM201 cards and if necessary reprogram them for you, if you mail them to:

Velleman Projects Tech. Dept.
Legen Heirweg 33
9890 Gavere
Belgium

Include your personal information and a summary of the problem like you did here

I will send the units to you for repair, thanks in advance.

[quote=“VEL448”]That is not normal behavior… if you want, we can take a look at the VM201 cards and if necessary reprogram them for you, if you mail them to:

Velleman Projects Tech. Dept.
Legen Heirweg 33
9890 Gavere
Belgium

Include your personal information and a summary of the problem like you did here[/quote]

I sended and got them back from you some months ago. Thanks for your cooperation.

I haven’t had the time to test them again until now. On the first unit I connected I got the same problem as before. The unit works fine first, but as soon as I closed one relay with the timer function it says bootloader reset and stays in the same loop as before.

As you say you have tested the VM201s successfully, what could cause porblems in my application?

BR
Albin

Very strange.
Does this happen with no load?
What kind of power supply do you use?
What is you application?
Where did you mount the unit?
Please supply as many details as possible.

I tested running the output with 230 VAC (put the AC->DC adapter after the relay).
This makes no difference, it still goes to bootloader reset when the relay closes.

Could any network settings have an impact? It is in a company network with approx 50 computers.

/Albin

[quote=“VEL417”]12DC is a little on the low side, since the relay only receive 10.6V in this case.
This might cause slower switching (= more interference) and more prone to interruptions.
Board has been designed for use on 12VAC.

The VDR’s won’t do much since they are designed for 230VAC operation.
You might want to add a say 100 ohm resistor in series with a 100nF cap in parallel with the relay contact.[/quote]

Can you post a picture of your setup how it’s all wired?

Best Regards,
VEL337

I have exactly the same problem. After 4 months of normal behaviour, only using 1 relay, the thing reboots every 10 seconds, switching off the relay …
I suppose normal guarantee applies, and i can get a new board? I bought this board through GOTRON, in Belgium. What should I do?
The Bootloader reset does not take place when not connected to Internet…

If you go to Gotron you can ask for a repair/exchange.

hm, i thought I solved it by deduction… So I changed power supply, and the reset disappeared … until i put the installation back onto the network yesterday, and the reset re-appears…

grrrrr…

Velleman: So Gotron (Gent/Aalst, https://www.gotron.be/) will replace my vm201? But What is the issue causing this?