Bent/rusted rods

im having a few issues with my vertex nano, i have it for a while now(5 months) but i never finished properly building it.

the rods on the x axys are bent, causing an uneven print bed, this also prevents the print from sticking to the bed, so all prints fail.
pic: image2.jpg - Google Drive

in the time i havent used the printer, the z rods have some stuff on them that looks a lot like rust, i dont know if this is actually rust but i cant seem to get it off.
pic: image1.jpg - Google Drive

the y axys is moving in shocks when going backwards, it very rough to try to move it when its standing still.

because of these issues my prints are bent, ugly and shifted, so its practically unusable
i hope i can find anwsers to these problems as soon as possible, because i really want to start printing things.

Hello @BONQ

It all depends on the curvature, the straighter the rods the better! It may be necessary to reorient them to find the position which creates the least problem or to change them.

Also, the rods should not be held in the hand without gloves or protection. The traces of fingers created rust. So there it is necessary to lubricate them to possibly remove this rust.

For the jerks of return on the X axis, you have to find the best alignment of the rods so as not to create friction. well parallel and in the same plane but if they are too twisted they must be changed. In the same way it is necessary to find the good lubricant and to clean and well lubricate the rods.

https://forumtest.whadda.com/t/layer-shifting-vertex-nano/34428/6

Have a nice day !

hello @PPAC
thanks for your reply.

i have not idea how im supposed to turn the rods back to normal, is there a way to purchase new ones?

after inspecting the rods again all of them appear to have a bit of rust on them, and i still cant get the rust off the rods, even when relubed. so im pretty sure my only option is to get new rods.

also my print bed has some very thin old failed prints on them, that i cant seem to get off, any solution for that?
pic: smeh - Google Drive

I’m not an expert at cleaning rods … the green side of a new, and dry sponge? a very rough rag? very fine abrasive paste in last resort ?

If you use WD-40, it will have to be cleaned well and afterwards again cleaned with a good lubricant because basic WD-40 does not lubricate it containe a solvant that remove the lubricant, except may be special formula.

For the purchase of new rods, you may have to try to go through the after-sales service where you bought the printer or you can open a ticket on the velleman support site … well there seem to be sites who sell this kind of rods, if you have the diameter, you will need a hacksaw to cut them to the right length …

For traces on the buildtak, scrape with a spatula? or the green side of a new sponge? avoid a sharp cutter you risk cutting the buildtak. Finally, an initial layer height of 0.2 mm or even 0.3 mm can be used to limit traces. Also it may be necessary to review the distance nozzle / plate after a “auto-home”, you could be a bit too close.
Edit : or also try a littel lower temperature (for the initial layer ?) ( 190°C for PLA is fine for me on a buildtack)
for informations / tips on lubricant look https://youtu.be/loBHYcifzRM?t=1197

i have already contacted the support and they rederected me to here,
im only 14, and this is my first 3d printer, so i dont have the tools to do most of those things, the traces were caused because of the unleveled print bed, so it sould be all right if i get that fixed.
i will try contacting support again and see if i can work it out with them.

1 Like

Hello,

My apologies, I started maybe too technical for a young beginner.

To communicate and understand each other well, do you speak and understand English well? because I am French and I am rather poor in English so I go through a translator who with my spelling mistakes does not necessarily give understandable things.

To put it simply, if the rods are bent / twisted you must request a replacement.

If you have corosion on the rods, you must change the lubricant and rub them well with a rough cloth to reduce traces of rust as much as possible.

Also do not handle the rods with bare hands, as fingerprints create corrosion.