Aligning the xy-rods

Tonight I printed a couple of these little friends to help align/fine tune the xy carriage rods parallel to their axis. They work surprisingly well (beginners luck?) so i uploaded them to Thingiverse. Maybe somebody might have a benefit from them too. To help align the xy carriage axis, just clamp two helpers to each side of the rod. then tighten the belts and pulleys. The print head should now move quite easy when lubricated.

Design:

Application:

Download:
thingiverse.com/thing:606083

Please note this is my first ‘design’ ever. I had to tweak the output size (.stl is already scaled) a little to print them on the correct size for my Vertex rods.

Erik

1 Like

Very Nice.

Thank you!!

Nicely done, I’ll try this.

If you print 4 you can use them for shipping brackets as well.

good thinking. it is a bit of a chicken-and-egg thing though, as you can’t make the proper tool until your printer is working.

@robv: if you are able to output at least something, then print this to further fine tune the rods :wink:

i’ll print out a couple tomorrow to see if my setup can be improved. it is already pretty well adjusted. And as i mentioned, i really the thinking.

Thank you,

I have access to another 3D printer, I’m printing 4 of them now.

As my printer isn´t working anymore since the threads are broken now. …

Can someone make and sentme 4 of these?

Would like ot payfor it.

Thanks in advance

thx alot!!

Thanks for these. I printed two sets of them to recalibrate my axes and it does a very good job!

The great thing about the alignment helpers is that they need to be printed first and if this is your first printer then that might be a challenge ;)…

So, here’s how I started, the McGyver version of the alignment helpers:

• Cut two pieces of wood at EXACTLY the same length,
    (I borrowed to ‘Kapla’ blocks from my kids but don’t tell them)
  • Glue a longer piece of wood on top of of each block (I used a wooden spatula that you get in a paint shop)

Now you can use these to align the rods pretty OK as well.

Erik

These work just fine! I have to get 3 of these printers back in shape. With the help of these two are done and the third should be done tomorrow. Thanks for sharing the file.