Additional power supply for heatbed

Let me see…

I don’t want to miss the extra power anymore.

@edirol:
thank you so much for your schematic to external power the heat-bed!
Just implemented it with a 24V power-supply and … I’m happy.
The annoying long time to heat up the bed now is history :-)))

Vielen Dank
Bernd

yes, thanks for the schematic and the infos.
Yesterday i had upgraded my printer with 24V.
i had changed the complete power supply.
reichelt.de/Schaltnetzteile- … OUPID=4991
reichelt.de/Schaltnetzteile- … OUPID=4959
i also integated an second FET with an retrig. monoflop, so the light goes on if i startet the heatbed.
in the next view days i also will integrate an 5v surce for the octoprint

So here is the schematic with the monoflop.
So the light starts by heatup the bed and stops 1 min. after the heatbed is switched off

i had made an case for the power supplies and the PCB

For the fan on the backside i printed an inlay with 0 solid top and 0 solid bottom layers with 25% filling so i can use it as an air filter for the fan.
For heating up from 20°c to 50°c it needs now 90 sec.

[quote=“eytec”]
For the fan on the backside i printed an inlay with 0 solid top and 0 solid bottom layers with 25% filling so i can use it as an air filter for the fan.[/quote]
Cool, didn’t even know that is possible, thanks.

What I dont understand in your schematic, the connection between IC1 and IC2 A/K, lines are somehow messed up? Have you indended to be A and K parallel, did you build this way and its working? With the secound FET do you switsch also a fan with LED (Lichtlüfter)?

Let me see some photos.

The optocoupler are switched in line (Reihenschaltung)
the schematic is bad drawen because first i used for every opticoupler 1 resistor and 1 diode.
but i see thad there is an easyer way so i can use 1 resistor and 1 diode for 2 optocoupler
the signal goes Resistor connector to R1, R1 to A IC2, K IC2 to A IC1 and back to the connector.
The diode D1 is Paralel to the line (Reihenschaltung) of IC2 and IC1 (D1 is only for protection if + and - are wrong connected.
Yes ist works (after i found thad in the PCB Programm Target pin 3 and 4 was wrong in the database)

The light automatic control is used not for an LED fan, i will use it for the light of the workspace.
(because the most time i do remote print with te octoprint and i am not in the same room and i will check with the webcam, so the system is the most time powered on, so the light will not be used if i am not printing)
but i had bilt in an switch so i can select Automatic/off/permanent on
for the power supply fan and the light controll i can select separatly.

photos will follow the next time

For the light i will use LED lights with G4 socket

puh its quiet strange to wright this all in english :smiley:

So her are some pictures:

Lamp holder:

I had uploadet the projekt to:
thingiverse.com/thing:153877
thingiverse.com/thing:154069

Nice work!

Alltough I recommend to clear up the schematic, people may want to buil it.

you’re right, i had cleand up the schematic

very nice work !

is a parts list for the order available ?

I had uploadet an order list for parts by Reichelt.de
The optocoupler SFH 610A-1 and the two IRLR8743PBF i had ordered by Conrad
The diode 1N4148, the resistors and the Elko are not of the material list.
The Elko must had min. 16V
In the moment i think it is better to use an Elko with 220uF for the timer. (Time ~240 sec.)
Because the heat of the nozzle will heat up the bed by the first layers and i takes 3 minutes for the next heat impulse of the bed.
http://thingiverse-production.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/b8/28/62/9d/fc/3D-Netzteil.pdf

Cool design of eytec’s power supply.

I downloaded all the files from thingiverse.
Slicing “gehrueck39.stl” with repetier/slicer skips the bottom of the part.
You have an open end where the holes for fan, switches ect. are expected.
There is a warning about overlapping or self intersecting facets.

Would it be possible to post that file in an editable format, for instance *.iges or *.obj ore something like that?
I’m using Autodesk Maya which can import a couple of file formats.
I think a new export from an editable file format towards *.stl could solve the problem.

Hi schumsel293,
i had tested the uploadet file “gehrueck39.stl” in RepetierHost V0.90C there are no warnings and i did not find any open end.

But its no problem .
I had uploadet the file gehrueck39.iges to thingverse.

Hi eyetec,
thanks very much for your instant response.

I solved my problem. It was not your *stl file which caused the problem - my software installation had beed responsible.

My current installation is Repetier Host Mac 0.56 under MacOS Mountain Lion.
When analyzing the object there are found overlapping faces ect.

Because in your installation there are no problems with that file, my installation must be different.
So I assumed your installation to be a Windows version.

I tried the newest Repetier Version for Windows with a virtual machine on my Mac and
ta-taaaa: No problems anymore
There are no warnings about overlapping faces anymore and the bottom of the object now exists.

By the way: what fill factor do you think would be the best for this part?

Thanks very much for your help

I had printet with the devault settings
3 bottom layer
6 toplayer
4 perimeter
0.2mm layer high
infill 0.25

Thank you very much,
I’ll try it the print with your parameters.

Unforunately my board has died. I send it back to Reichelt/Velleman.

Can I use a IRF530 (with heat sink) instead of IRLR8743PBF with R2 / R3 (2.7K / 2.2K)?
I don’t know how to handle the DPAK Package of IRLR8743PBF.

Thanks

[quote=“schumsel293”]
Can I use a IRF530 (with heat sink) instead of IRLR8743PBF with R2 / R3 (2.7K / 2.2K)?
I don’t know how to handle the DPAK Package of IRLR8743PBF.[/quote]

This is my misstake. You can use the IRLU8743PbF (like I did), this is the I-Pak version. The IRF530 will burn 2.5W and needs a large heatsink. The resistors are ok for the IRF530.

Cheers

Thanks edirol,

as I am not experienced with electronic circuits so I would be interested to know:

is there a heatsink necessary for IRLU8743PbF and what size would be appropriate?

Does a board layout (Eagle) exist or is a test board (“Streifenplatine”) sufficient?

Cheers

schumsel,
No heatsink is required for the IRLU8743. Look at my pictures on the previous page of this topic, I used a “Streifenplatine”. Just take care that the high current conductor tracks are as short as possible and fill them with huge amount of solder.

You can use my layout:

blue lines: existing traks
yellow lines: divide the tracks
red lines: wire bridges

Good luck!

Edit: The image shows the top view of the PCB

@edirol
thank you very much.
Your posts are very helpful.
When I get my parts, I’m gonna start that project.
Cheers