Adding a 24V power supply too the heatbed

Question for those of you that have added a 24v supply, now that you can go much hotter on the heatbed, do you still print PLA on a 50 degree bed, or are there any benefits, like better adhesion, to going hotter? Or going hotter for the first layer?

Iā€™ve always printed PLA at 60Ā°C, lowering to 50Ā°C after the print for easier removal.
So - yes. And keep it at 60Ā°C throughout.

[quote=ā€œProcessaurusā€][quote=ā€œErik Mā€]You donā€™t need any additional components to run the hotbed on a higher voltage.

You do like this:

A - Connect minus of the second powersupply, PSU, to the minus of the board.

B - Connect one wire from the hotbed to plus on the 2nd PSU.

C - Find Heater2ā€™s two +15V pins on the K8200 motherboard and clamp them out of the way.

D - Connect the other wire from the hotbed to Heater2ā€™s two remaining [drain] pins.

E - [optional] Add a Heatsink to the Heater2 MOSFET.[/quote]

Thanks for the encouragement. Did a version of this today, using the onboard mosfet to switch the 24v to the heatbed. I did mine by using the PCB power barrel connector for the 15v supply, and the screw connector for the 24v supply. I cut a couple traces on the PCB to isolate the Heater 2 (heatbed) power input, to change it over to the 24v. I connected the barrel connector over to Heater 1 with a short piece of medium gauge wire. This way everything on the board is running on the 15v, except the heater 2 (+) connection is connected to the 24v supply. The 24v supply (-) is connected to ground, so when the mosfet turns on, the heatbed (-) is connected to ground, and the 24v runs through the heatbed, thru mosfet, to ground.

This way runs the LED for the heatbed off the 24v supply. I changed my LED resistor, R15, to 3K, but Iā€™m not sure this is necessary, the original resistor is 1.8K, probably within safe limits for the LED current, as tiny as it is. I like the LED not being run off the 15v supply, because LEDā€™s donā€™t like have voltage reverse biased, Iā€™m not sure what the reverse breakdown voltage of our LED is. But, even if it died, there is the 1.8K resistor in series, so, even if it fails short, the +24v and +15v is only connected together with a 1.8k resistor, no safety issue for the rest of the electronics, just that LED.

[/quote]

Hello,

Today i successfully updated my printer following your post.
Instead of a 24V PSU, i used a 22V one (i had it available). For the first tests, everything is working as expected.

The bed warm up to 55ĀŗC in about 3m30s. Outstandingā€¦

Thanks for the sharing.

I know this is an old post, but when someone reads this and doesnā€™t want to mess with PCB please do check my solution at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX8JLeA1VZQ
Iā€™ve printed a mountable enclosure - itā€™s all in the videoā€¦ Hope it helps you.

1 Like