2nd nozzle never reaches the set temp for printing

Hi all,

So I tried to print using the second nozzle on my machine for the very first time. Mind you, my printer has been at Velleman and they have at least loaded fillament in the second nozzle because there was some purple fillament left overs still in there :slight_smile:

I did the fillament loading from the menu which heats up the nozzle first and it heated up the 2nd nozzle just as quick as it does for the 1st nozzle. It took in the fillament (PLA) as planned so I thought I was set to go.

I loaded an STL in repetier, sliced it with single head, nozzle 2 and pressed start… And here the weirdness begins… It starts heating the 2nd nozzle but it never reaches the set (210 deg) temp… After about 15 min (!) it leveled out at +/- 205 deg and never starts the print because the setpoint is not reached.

• I restarted with a setpoint of 205 deg but then it doesn’t reach that temp…
  • I did a Preheat PLA nozzle 2, it heats up quickly to the requested 210 deg, then started the print with the 210 deg setpoint… It started printing but straight away the temp starts dropping until the fillament stops flowing altogether…
  • I did a Preheat PLA nozzle 2, and kept it a that temp for a while and I did some manual extrusion from repetier, no problems seen there…

I’ve never had this kind of trouble with nozzle 1, can anyone help me out?

Kind regards,

Kees.

A friend of me had the same problem.
The reason is the sensor in the printhead. If it fits not perfect, it doesnt report the exact temperature, so the head could overtemp, and melt the isolator! Be careful!
Solution ist to remove the sensor, and fix it again precise with a little bit thermal compound. This improves the contact of the sensor and it could measure more exact.
Be sure to use one whitch resists the existing temperatures (max 270C). Thermal compounds from pc cpu-coolers are not heatresistent enough.

[quote=“sope”]A friend of me had the same problem.
The reason is the sensor in the printhead. If it fits not perfect, it doesnt report the exact temperature, so the head could overtemp, and melt the isolator! Be careful!
Solution ist to remove the sensor, and fix it again precise with a little bit thermal compound. This improves the contact of the sensor and it could measure more exact.
Be sure to use one whitch resists the existing temperatures (max 270C). Thermal compounds from pc cpu-coolers are not heatresistent enough.[/quote]

Thank you for your reply Sope.
I’m not too afraid for overheating. I’m quite sure it’s reading the temperature ok because it IS reaching the set temperature when I have it preheat or do an autoload/unload of filament. It’s just not reaching the set temp when I want it to print using the 2nd nozzle, weird huh?

Check if the heater cartridge wires are connected tightly and the head-pcb connector hasn’t any black marks. This is pretty much what happened to mine, heater 1 heated really fast but heater 2 heated up much slower, while printing the temperature dropped at times and couldn’t really maintain a steady setpoint while moving… Eventually i discovered that the large plug had some burn marks and the wire of heater got a bit lose I assume. I disassembled the scorched pin from the large plug and bend the clip that touches the pcb pin a bit so it would make a better contact.

Kind Regards
JeAfKe

[quote=“jeafke”]Check if the heater cartridge wires are connected tightly and the head-pcb connector hasn’t any black marks. This is pretty much what happened to mine, heater 1 heated really fast but heater 2 heated up much slower, while printing the temperature dropped at times and couldn’t really maintain a steady setpoint while moving… Eventually i discovered that the large plug had some burn marks and the wire of heater got a bit lose I assume. I disassembled the scorched pin from the large plug and bend the clip that touches the pcb pin a bit so it would make a better contact.

Kind Regards
JeAfKe[/quote]

Hi Jeafke,

To be safe I double checked all connections, but I see no problems, scorching or other weird stuff. As I said before, it will heat quickly to operating temperatures when preheating, loading and unloading a filament but it is just not heating right when I want to print with it?!?

can you post the temperature curve? Maybe we can see something strange to get any further idea.
I would say its the thermistor but if the normal change/preheat works perfect this makes no sense.

Best

//EDIT:

ahh! do you tried to only heat up the secound hotend?
I ask because maybe there is a possibility that you heat the first Hotend and the heatreflection also heats up the second Hotend, i mean they are very close.
When you change fillament/preheat trought the firmware/controll display of the printer itself it works perfect. So we can exclude a failure with the hardware itself.

So i would check if you do everything right with your software on your pc. Therefore check if you can heat up the left/right independently from each other.
Also try a different software to controll the printer maybe this will get us closer to a solution

//EDIT2, lol:
Maybe something like here: http://forum.velleman.eu/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=16533