24V as Main Power Supply

Hallo,

another thread about the 24V Volt… I have read the most of the 24V threads in this Forum but I couldn’t find that someone did a analysis of the components. So I did a couple days ago. It should be possible to apply 24V to the Mainboard. But to be sure has someone tried it yet? :slight_smile:

D1 Diode 50V
U2 L7805 5V Supply 35V but need a heatsink on 24V
Film capacitor 25V
Creamic capacitor 50V
Mosfets 75V
Nema17 Motors 80V
Stepper Driver 8825 45V

Also the LED’s have big enough resistors.

Schematics and Datasheets https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wal44m981dbhlv4/AABX6FDjg4C6Te6AZix16XXda?dl=0

I have tried it with a 24V 550mA power supply and with nothing connectet to the board.

Nothing has happend, to board is programmable and reacts normaly. Just the 5V regulator gets a bit warm so I had to mount a little heatsink on it.

So next step: Buy a propper 24V 30A power supply and run the motors and so on.

Keep you guys in the loop.

So there is the 24V MOD for the Vertex K8400

Components you need:

1x LM2596 Step Down Buck Converter
5x 100uF 35V SMD Capacitors
2x 1,8K 1/2W Resistors (no SMD)
2x Schottky Diode 30V 1A (no SMD)
0,5m Wire

-----Discribtion
We want 24V on the stepper driver, the hotend and the heatbet, but not on the Fans. And definetly you don’t want to have 24V direct on the 5V linear power regulator, in case of that it would consume about 9,5W=R.I.P (Uin-Uout)*500mA

That’s why it’s nessasary to install a LM2569 instead of the Diode D1 to supply the fans and the 5V supply with 12V.
There are 5 capacitors to change because, they take 25V but that’s not enough in case of over volatage, so it’s better to change them to 35V, also there are 2 resistors and 2 diodes to change.

All together about 1h-2h work.

Step 1:
Unsolder Diode D1, D3, D4
Unsolder Resistor R6, R9
Unsolder all 5 Capacitors

Step 2:
Solder the new Diode’s for D3 and D4 in place, but just the end in direction to the mosfet (to see in schematics) the other end must be in the Air with no connection to the board.
Solder the new Resistors for R6 and R9, but just one end. The other as the Diode in the Air.

Step 3:
Solder Blue cable to Step Down Converter OUT+, Red to IN+ and Black to OUT- or IN-.
Solder Blue in place of minus from D1, Red in place of Plus from D1 and Black to Ground from the 5V linear power supply.

Step 4:
Solder a 10cm long Blue cable from D1 to the “Aired” end’s of D3/R6 and D4/R9.

Step 5:
Because VIN is connected to the + pins of the fans we need to cut the traces and solder some new wires to it. With that we connect the 12V to the + pin of the fan connector.

Step 6:
Connect your Power supply to the Board with a Voltage messure Tool at “PL2” for the Voltage of the LM2569. Turn the poti of the LM2569 to reach 12V.

Thats’s it.

I have issue the same toptic. Thanks @LuckyLuzz . It is very detail.