2 Z-motors & Thermalcouple on K8200

Hi everyone

I’m in the proces of upgrading my K8200.
I want to mount 2 Z-motors and a Thermalcoupler on my printer.
This is what i got:
External stepper driver (https://reprapworld.com/products/electronics/minitronics/external_stepper_driver_v2_0/)
External thermocouple board (https://reprapworld.com/products/external_thermocouple_board_v1_0/)

With the wiring i have some problems.

External stepper driver:
Q1: The board must be powerd by +12Volt. Can i connect the +12V & GND of the External Stepper Driver directly to the +12V & GND on the 18 pin header of the controllerboard of the K8200 or must i use a seperate powersupply?

Q2: How do i connect 2 motors?
a: Can i connect the 1st motor directly on the Z-MOTORheader of the K8200-controllerboard and dasychain it to the External Stepper Driver on witch i connect the 2nd motor?
b: Must i use 2 External Stepper Drivers connected together and connect this directly to the Z-motorheader on the K8200-controllerboard. Then connect on ech External Stepperdriver one motor?

External Thermocoupe:
The thermocouple needs a small connecorboard.
This board has a 2-screwheader for the Thermocouple and a 3-screwheader for power & signal.
The thermalcouple can be screwed in the 2-screwheader directly. Direction does not matter.
This board need +5v power.
Q3: Can i connect the +5v of the External Thermocouple directly to the +5v of the 18 pin header of the K8200-controllerboard or must i use a seperate powersupply?
Q4: Where must the (S)ignal wire of the External Thermocouple be connected on the K8200-controllerboard? I know it must NOT connect to the THERMAL1 header of the controllerboard but where then?

I replied to your question about 2 Z axis motors on the other thread.

You should not need an external stepper controller to run 2 motors on your Z axis. All you need to do is wire the two motors in parallel to the existing Z-axis motor output.

Hope this helps!

[quote=“Dr. Vegetable”]I replied to your question about 2 Z axis motors on the other thread.

You should not need an external stepper controller to run 2 motors on your Z axis. All you need to do is wire the two motors in parallel to the existing Z-axis motor output.

Hope this helps![/quote]

Does the Stepperdriver not get to hot or overload (Amps?).
Why do they sell them at all? I think they function of the External Stepperdriver is that the stepper drivers don’t have to work so hard and do have a longer life.
I do have one so why don’t use it?

Q: How much current can the +5v & +12v handle on the 18 pin header?

Since the work of moving the Z axis is being divided between the two motors, each one only needs about half the power. So you should have no trouble running two motors in parallel from one driver.

The problem with adding a second driver is that you still need to connect it to the same GPIO output(s) that are controlling the other motor, unless you want to start making major firmware modifications.

I think they sell these is for purposes such as adding a second extruder, which would require an independent drive channel.

There is nothing to stop you from using the extra driver if you have it, but it seems like an unnecessary complication, and more connections that could fail.

I don’t know the answer to your question about current draw through the 18-pin header, but I suspect it is not very much. What are you trying to do with it?

[quote=“Dr. Vegetable”]Since the work of moving the Z axis is being divided between the two motors, each one only needs about half the power. So you should have no trouble running two motors in parallel from one driver.

The problem with adding a second driver is that you still need to connect it to the same GPIO output(s) that are controlling the other motor, unless you want to start making major firmware modifications.

I think they sell these is for purposes such as adding a second extruder, which would require an independent drive channel.

There is nothing to stop you from using the extra driver if you have it, but it seems like an unnecessary complication, and more connections that could fail.

I don’t know the answer to your question about current draw through the 18-pin header, but I suspect it is not very much. What are you trying to do with it?[/quote]
I was thinking about the fan for the E3D heatsink.