2 stepper motor for z-axis?

Hello,

is it possible to install a second stepper motor on the same controller port of the first z-axis motor driver ?
or will this cause a overload ?
My reasinig is to install a further stepper motor to the opposite side of the z-axis…

This has not been tried.
It could work but most likely the driver will need extra cooling.

@VEL417

I’ve read a lot about the motor driver cooling. Does the K8200 board cover make sense as it will hinder the motor driver cooling so it seems? Do these motor drivers need additional cooling? Should a board cover include a fan? Can the additional fan use the power supply that is supplied in the kit? How to connect? In addition that there is an upcoming LED light and standalone upgrade can the power supply handle the extra power needed?

thanks

All our demo printers have the enclosure and no extra cooling and we have never experienced any problems.
It is no problem for the power supply to handle the extra 9 leds. They only draw a couple of tens of milliamps.

@VEL417

Thank you. I also do not have any issues with the motor drivers getting hot but I was wondering as so many people do seem to have that issue.
What about the additional power for the stand alone (LCD + SD card) upcoming upgrade in relation to the current power supply?

regards

Once again, no problem.
It consumes very little.
The supplied power supply is capable of supplying 100W.
Average power consumption of a running printer is about 75W.

@VEL417

Thank you! Looking forward to the upgrades.

regards

It is finished :wink:

still waiting for the second trapezoidal screw.

Very nice to see what you did achieve! Love it.
I have a few questions.
Is the trapezoidal screw TR14x4?
Do you connect both steppermotors to one driver?
If so, did you test that configuration before rebuilding the printer?
I am asking this because it is a simple experiment to perform.
And is the aluminium profile simply available?
Hope that you keep us updated along the way!
Robert

Has this improved the prints from the printer?
Do you have a print of before the upgrade and one from after the upgrade?

Hi Robert,

the trapezoidal screw that I use is TR8x1,5.
yes I connect both steppermotors to one driver.
I have found the specification of the controller here: reprap.org/wiki/3Drag_controller
with the statement of this forum here and from open-electronics.org I decided to give it a try. It’s possible to connect 2 steppermotors for the Z-axis.
I have installed an additional fan in the cover. if the cooling is not sufficient, I will put heatsinks on the stepper driver.
of course I did some test before rebuild the printer :wink:

The aluminium profile I found in the local hardware store…

in my opinion this has greatly improved printing results, however, this will be for the most part in the change of the trapezoidal spindle. pictures I will be happy to turn in when I solved my current problem with the filament feeding. I fear for some time that my hobbed bolt has lost the grip.

regards,
Kai

Hi Kai,

Great Job!
I live in Germany too. In which hardwarestore exactly did you find the aluminium profiles?

CU
Michael

Hi,

“Knauber” in Bonn.
a colleague told me, he had seen it also in “Bauhaus”, but the program seems to differ strongly locally.

Kai

Does the aluminium profile have a brand name?

Robert

Hi,

yes it has: Alfer coaxis®

Kai

[quote=“donmillo”]It is finished :wink:
still waiting for the second trapezoidal screw.
[/quote]
why did you assemble a second upstanding frame?
is this necessary?

Hi,

no it is not necessary… but i need space to attech the controller board etc.
and the good thing is that it brings more stability into the frame.

regards,
Kai