2:nd burned driver in a row

Hi! Last week one of my drivers committed suicide, it simply “burned” up. This was for the z-axis. I thought it was weird since my z-axis slides well and I’ve never had any problems with it.

This is what it looked like.

Anyways I sent a support request and velleman sent me a new driver. I received it today and started printing.
About three hours into a print I smelled burned driver(!).

It´s the exact same problem but now with the y-axis?? The driver is burned in the exact way.

Since the same thing happened with both y and z-axis it cant be an alignment problem, and should’nt the drivers turn themselves off if they´re starting to overheat? (All fans are working)

Anyways, doesn’t really seem to be a solution just to replace the driver and wait for the x-axis driver to burn up.

Regards

Johan

You should check the output of the power supply.
Should be 15 volts.
Also check the reference voltages for all of the drivers.

[quote=“Wrong Way”]You should check the output of the power supply.
Should be 15 volts.
Also check the reference voltages for all of the drivers.[/quote]

I checked the drivers before i tried the new driver, they check out. I checked the psu now and that’s also correct.
The printer prints fine, good geometry so I don’t think its a stepper problem (they are not running too hot either). It feels like it somehow suddenly gets a power surge which kills the driver.

Maybe static electricity discharge?
Or devices in the same Mains circuit that produce heavy voltage spikes, like Motors or fluorescent lighting?
But that should normally not interfere with the Meanwell Powe supply.
But possibly surges come over the USB.

[quote=“ichbinsnur”]Maybe static electricity discharge?
Or devices in the same Mains circuit that produce heavy voltage spikes, like Motors or fluorescent lighting?
But that should normally not interfere with the Meanwell Powe supply.
But possibly surges come over the USB.[/quote]

Hmm no nothing, only the computer. Even if it’s a surge over the usb you’d expect the printer to freak out a bit, restart or something, not a specific drivers to burn up?
I don’t really know what to do now, seems impossible to get a spare part of these in Sweden and Velleman sites only ship to uk or usa…

Try this reseller.

kjell.com/se/sortiment/el-ve … 400-p87449

[quote=“Christina”]Try this reseller.

kjell.com/se/sortiment/el-ve … 400-p87449[/quote]

Thanks yeah that’s where I ended up buying it, the problem was that they didn’t have it in stock and I had to wait a couple of weeks.
But nevertheless the problem is now solved!

If anyone gets the same problem, it turned out to be a faulty usb hub (keyboard usb ports) causing a surge when the computer was going in to “light sleep mode”. I thought this only turns off the screen, but apparently the usb hub stops delivering power to devices (other directly connected devices are still turned on, mouse, keyboard etc). Hooked the usb port to my oscilloscope and the power curve wasn’t very nice.
I swapped usb port and no more problems!