PCSU1000 PCSGU250 - recording data in "streaming mode"

Hi,

I’d like to record data from an oscilloscope continuously at a high sample rate, let’s say 5msps. Can the instruments named in the subject line do that?
It’s no problem to write specialized software for this task, but the driver has to be able to deliver data streams.

And I’d like to know if it would be possible to do so using other OSes, too. Linux as a first guess. Would it?

Thanks in andvance!

The bottleneck is the USB transfer speeds.
The Full Speed USB is not fast enough to transfer the required amount of data from the oscilloscope.

You’re right, the speed may be a problem. But afaik a net transfer rate of up to 10MB/s is possible, specialized driver do reach up to 20 MB/s.

I think I can handle that limitation well, but does the instrument offer such streaming mode? I don’t own one yet, but if it would I’d buy one or two of them …

[quote]I think I can handle that limitation well, but does the instrument offer such streaming mode?[/quote]I’m sorry but there is no streaming mode.

The USB speed is not very high:
Please see: californiaconsultants.org/do … 1-Dion.pdf

There is written:
[color=#0000BF]MYTH: A Full-SpeedUSB peripheralcan transfer data up to 1.5 MB/s(12 Mb/s)
FACT:Impossible, 1.5 MB/s is the total bus bandwidth

• Must be shared among peripherals
  • Protocol overhead
  • Protocol restrictions
  • Realistic raw data throughput to a single peripheral is ~1.0 MB/s
  • Only 64KB/s in some cases[/color]

Ah, I see. We’re talking about USB Full Speed with 12 Mb/s as maximum.

The facts I cited hold for a USB2.0 High Speed connection with 480Mb/s.

Thanks for clearing up things!