K8400 extrudermotor is clicking and there is no filament fee

Dear hudibras,

you are using the original Vellemann firmware, that’s going on. It was reported several times in this forum, that there is (among others) a wrong setting for the extrusion steps per mm. To get the flow right you need to set it to approx. 75%.

For the clicking extruders you have to check your mechanical alignments as described before. But you can also check the other printer parameters to be at a save setting.

However, nozzle diameter mismatch will not have too much impact on the extruded material as long as the extrusion model can handle different extrusion width with minor errors. The more significant impact is the increase of pressure you need for a given flow rate. With reduced nozzle size you need a higher extrusion pressure for the same flow rate; if the extruder is clicking, it cannot provide the necessary pushing force on the filament, the filament slips back, generating the click. In this case you may check a lower extrusion speed.

Maybe you can find some other ideas on my personal blog about my own printer experience ddd.k8400.hoehnemann.net

Changing flow is not the right way,

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {134.74,134.74,4266.66,200} //

The fourth parameter is wrong! I’ll let you know the right number in a few days. The wheel looks like MK8 but I’m not sure.
Need some calculating and measuring, this is not a full time job for me. You may read again, this is absolutely not my first 3D printer.

The notify me in this forum seems not working!

The theoretical value is 152.48, derived from the available drawings of the extruder parts. By finetuning you will get a value slightly around this number (depending on parts tolerances and adjustments).

But be aware, by changing this value the load and unload menu isn’t working properly because the feed length are becoming too short. You have to adjust the feed length in the file “ultralcd.cpp” within the load_menu… and unload_menu… routines. You may have a look on that here: http://ddd.k8400.hoehnemann.net/Firmware/Marlin_hoh.tar.gz.

I’m on your side when you’re saying that changing the flow is not the right way, but it is the fastest to verify this possible reason for your clicking.

1 Like

[quote=“hudibras”]
The notify me in this forum seems not working![/quote]

Notify me working now 29 nov. 3-4 days delay

[quote=“hoh61”]The theoretical value is 152.48, derived from the available drawings of the extruder parts. By finetuning you will get a value slightly around this number (depending on parts tolerances and adjustments).

[/quote]

Probaly right it looks like MK8 to me and I have my Rostock set to 150.

BTW Changing the line (default step) is not going to solve it, the printer reads c-mos. It’s done with M92 and M502

Testing with M221 S74 and set flow to 100% nozzle 0.35 seems a hole lot better.

Sorry, I was not exact enough. Yes, M221 is a possible, temporal solution.

But M92 should work, too (e.g. M92 E152.48). This is setting the steps per mm directly. And since this value is stored in the eeprom, you can permanently save this new setting ( until the next firmware update) with M500 or the displayed menu. However, this will still impact the load/unload routine for the filament.

1 Like

[quote=“hoh61”]Sorry, I was not exact enough. Yes, M221 is a possible, temporal solution.

But M92 should work, too (e.g. M92 E152.48). This is setting the steps per mm directly. And since this value is stored in the eeprom, you can permanently save this new setting ( until the next firmware update) with M500 or the displayed menu. However, this will still impact the load/unload routine for the filament.[/quote]

Yeah right, you may check download section E-step for extruder still 200

Load/unload is a very minor problem at this point, but wonder why nothing is changed in download section.

Last kit from velleman with a lot off wrong parts, one off the motors where going wrong way (very rare)

Hudibras

I have the same clicking extruder motor… already changed the stepper driver.

when i dismount the motor and start a print… the motor starts oke… its very strong en doesnt loose steps… but after about 30 seconds the motor starts making abnormal moves… between the moves i can rotate the gear freely … so it looks like 1 coil of the motor isnt working…

i also tried another motor from my 2nd extruder… this one behaves the same…

i think that my mainboard is failing on me somehow… what i dont understand is, why is it working great at the first 30 seconds…

oh yeah… the stepper driver isnt overheating. it stays cold.

anyone has some thoughts about this or a solution other than replacing the mainboard?

From your description it sounds like the nozzle is clogged.

No… Even if I dismount the motor from the extruder, the same thing happens.

Motot is running the first 30 seconds ok… Then it starts to behave like it has a clogged nozzle… Only the motor is not mounted in the extruder…

Have you tried to swap the driver with another one to see if the failure moves?
Watch the orientation

Yes… Swapped the driver… Tried a new one… Tried another motor… Tried another cable… Dismounted the motor from the extruder so no force is in the pulley… Still dienst work… I thing the mainboard is defective… Sad… I have only printed 35 kg of filament whit this printer… :cry:

Think I’m going to remove all electronics and wires and install a arduino mega and ramps 1.6 board… RIP k8400